Migrating to Linux - WP

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com
Thu Apr 14 08:26:30 CDT 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 6:31 am, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I'm no license nazi - the problem is just that, which Java do you install?
>  Sun?  IBM?  Does a free "JRE" include all of the components that OO
> expects?  Do I need a JRE, a JVM, or a JDK?  It is a whole OS, if one is
> to believe the "virtual machine" terminology they use, and I object to
> having to maintain an entire OS for one or two applications.  Choosing,
> installing, and maintaining a Java distribution to support a single app is
> a bit like installing Microsoft Office Professional to edit a one-page
> text file, if there were multiple versions of Office to choose from.

Its no different than having to "install/maintain" .Net.  I don't see the
difficulty here, all the distro's have java available.  Its not like you have
to go to Sun and download and install it yourself, like windows.

Besides Java is optional, you don't have to enable the scripting features.

You should prolly go and download OO.o 2.0.

-Bill