Migrating to Linux - WP

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 12:30:16 CDT 2005

--- Jeremy Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:07:43PM -0500, Jonathan
> Hutchins wrote:
> > It's my understanding that oo2 no longer runs on
> Linux, but requires
> > Java instead.
>

> It looks like more of OpenOffice.org 2 is dependent
> on Java, but you can
> use parts of it without.  OO.org 1 used Java for:

> So you can do things like type and print, but
> getting into more complex
> features would require a JRE.  The article goes on
> to say that some
> distros use a free JRE with gcj, and others don't
> include OO.org at all
> (Slackware).
One I don't see why using java is an issue. Java runs
fine on Linux. Yeah I know all the *Evil Sun* issues.
Blah, blah, blah.
Anyway from what I understand the "free JREs" don't
necessarily work well with OO. Some of the features
aren't working yet. Eventually someone will come up
with a 100% "free" JRE, but until that happens you're
best bet is to install Sun's JRE for OO. Personally, I
don't care too much about the battle over Sun's JRE,
but would use an alternate if it was stable enough.
The point of the original post was about porting users
to Linux. If that means giving them Sun's JRE and OO2
so much the better.

BRian D.