LARGE scale email

Brad brad at bradandkim.net
Mon Sep 20 10:27:39 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 11:35, Phoenician wrote:
>   Just out of curiosity, what would people recommend for large scale
> email? (what distro and application)
> I'm not wanting to start a flame war, just get opinions from people in
> that have had more experience than I have in large scale email.
> That said, here are the factors for consideration:
>
> 1) I am migrating email from a Win32 environment to a *nix based
> environment. :) I am working with people that I have to remind that
> Linux is not a singular all-encompassing distro (ie: that Linux does
> means Linux but rather SuSe, Redhat, Mandrake etc..)
> 2) It must be ultra-secure.
> 3) Large scale means over 1,500 mail boxes and approx 350 to 400
> domains.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michienne.

I am partial to
Postfix/Cyrus/MySQL/Amavisd/Clamd/SpamAssassin/squirrelmail.  We wrote a
custom front end for maintaining the user base.  Cyrus is extremely fast
and efficient, though not always the easiest to configure.  Once
configured though, it just works and works well.  I started with Luc
Delouw's how-to.  I did find though that some significant hacks were
needed to make the setup truly capable of handling virtual domains.  As
I mentioned, we are not using the web-cyradm front-end, but you should
be able to.  I am actually using Procmail to filter out the domains and
this is not recommended by Procmail, but I have not seen any problems
with it.  The filtering is good and solid and Squirrelmail has a ton of
plugins, many of which allow userinfo including spam filtering
preferences and black/white lists to be stored in MySQL.  This setup
takes a bit of time to get up and running, but IMHO is a feature-rich,
rock-solid high performance system.

I have this running on RH8, RH9, and Fedora Core2.

http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/

HTH,

Brad