Proposed Web site redesign (beta)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Nov 17 10:01:22 CST 2004

Ah, isn't it great the way we treat volunteers here? Rather than offer
constructive criticism for a well designed site, such as giving examples
of a better way to layout the pages, we fall into a flamewar on the evils
of tables versus CSS. On top of which, the CSS approach wouldn't allow the
easy creation (1-2 hours vs 1/6 hour for three column layout) of some simple
design criteria and the time consuming CSS solution still wouldn't render
correctly in 90% of browsers (if I'm reading the postings right).

I use tables and CSS on my site. While I can see how it might be a bit
inconvenient for some readers to have the top and side menu repeated everytime
a page loads before the main content, I don't see how three column CSS would
alter that. With an equivalent CSS design (topbar menu and sidebar menu) you could
still have the top menu and side menu before the main content - and hence still subject
blind readers to have to listen to them every time. I don't see how CSS is
the end-all-be-all of style. I think it's an overhyped formatting protocol
being shoved down netizens'' throats all for the sacrificial offering of the
web-modernization gods.

Any way this is all moot point as the original purpose of this whole thread was to
help Steve refine his work and design a better and more usable website for the LUG.

Brian D.