BitDefender/LinuxDefender_Live!

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Sun Mar 21 11:26:57 CST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:01:07PM -0600, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> You should be able to get the updates from the web prior to running the
> AV scan.  I recently built a Bart's PE boot CD w/ McAfee command line
> scan, Stinger, Adaware and other tools.  Those all allowed me to run the
> update prior to scan, the updates just aren't saved.  you could burn to
> a CDRW for a tool like that and maybe download an updated iso every
> couple of months.  I will just rerun my Bart's PE builder script every
> once in a while with the updates applied (new SDAT).

Sorry, Brian. So much of that is Greek to me. I thought it would be as
simple as booting the live CD, loading my network parameters, cranking
up a browswer and downloading the definitions and "installing" them for
the current session.

And now from what you say, it seems like there's a lot more to it than
that. That means I have more homework to do (reading up on it). A couple
of guys have mentioned Stinger. Maybe I should start there. Heck, I
don't even know what a "Bart's PE boot CD" is.

> By the way, where did you download Linux Defender from?  I don't have
> bit torrent and prefer to get just a plain iso.

BitTorrent. I don't much like it either, but I have a "spare" (damaged,
small, old, hunk o' junque) Toshiba notebook with a 2 gig drive on it.
Stripped down mostly OS, I was able to get BitTorrent on it and download
the iso. I have 2 static IPs from my ISP, one of which my LAN uses with
masqerading and a firewall. BitTorrent doesn't like firewalls, and you
gotta punch a hole through whatever you use for the port. Scary - giving
more access, etc. So, with the spare notebook, I was able to use my 2nd
IP, no firewall, and download the iso with BitTorrent no problems. I
couldn't find it anywhere else.

Thanks for the help. At least now I have a couple of place to start
looking and learning.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux