BitDefender/LinuxDefender_Live!

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 05:00:48 CST 2004

Greg Kedrovsky wrote:

> I have a question about BitDefender AntiVirus as distributed in the
> LinuxDefender_Live! offering of Knoppix.
>
> Since my bout with a virus on a Win2k notebook last week, I've been
> poking around the various versions of Knoppix. Lotsa neat stuff. I just
> downloaded this LinuxDefender_Live! It's pretty much Knoppix with
> BitDefender for Linux "clickable" from a KDE desktop.
>
> My question is this: What about new virus definitions? I poked around
> and found nothing about a link to their site or anything about new virus
> definitions. Am I missing something here? Has anyone worked with this
> version of Knoppix? What... do I have to download a new iso ever couple
> of weeks to keep updated?

You should be able to get the updates from the web prior to running the
AV scan.  I recently built a Bart's PE boot CD w/ McAfee command line
scan, Stinger, Adaware and other tools.  Those all allowed me to run the
update prior to scan, the updates just aren't saved.  you could burn to
a CDRW for a tool like that and maybe download an updated iso every
couple of months.  I will just rerun my Bart's PE builder script every
once in a while with the updates applied (new SDAT).

By the way, where did you download Linux Defender from?  I don't have
bit torrent and prefer to get just a plain iso.