Mono Book

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Wed Aug 18 14:49:03 CDT 2004

Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student) wrote:

>Received the new Mono book from O'Reilly ("Mono: A Developer's
>Notebook"), and I must say that it was an excellent buy, especially for
>the price ($17 at amazon.com ).

Bill also just purchased that book here at Lumen Software. We're very
excited about Mono and Bill thinks the book is an excellent buy, as
well. I'll be adding it to my Safari Bookshelf as soon as its available.
Based on our conversations with Novell higher-ups, they are really
rooting for Mono as a realist cross-platform development tool for their
identity management software. That means a simple Mono + GTK# runtime
installer for Windows upon which Mono apps can be installed. The Mono
CVS already has working generics which is right up there with
Microsoft's beta of .NET 2.0. Miguel and his team have come an amazing
amount of distance in a short period of time.

I'm especially excited about the new availablity of Python running on
Mono. The cool thing about that is that you can call the objects of each
language from each other without writing some intermediate wrapper (like
a C# program calls a Python text-processing function). It can do that
because both are running on the CLI. That really rocks. Microsoft did
something right, for once.