Resizing Reiser

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Aug 12 14:12:14 CDT 2004

Not to offer hindsight, but something to consider next time.
Whenever I run potentially destructive operations in Linux,
I do one at a time and reboot in between each to be able to
backtrack mistakes. I also do a backup before starting.
Generally I backup the /home, /etc and /var/local directories
as they are the ones where I have most of the configurations,
data and intranet stuff located.

That said, I'd also recommend switching from using lilo to grub.
Grub may be a bit more difficult to get used to setting up, but
it is much easier to maintain.

A question when booting how many lewtters of lilo appear on the
screen?
If all 4 lilo letters appear it is not the boot loader, but
the kernel that is giving you problems. If you don't see any of the
letters or only 1,2, or 3 then the bootloader is having problems.
Each one has a particular meaning. I'd have to look it up though.
Of course, you are right you should rerun lilo, just for sanity.
Even though I would expect lilo to read the partition table to find
the locations, and the partition table certainly didn't move.

A very strange result you have there, so keep us posted.

Brian