Windows Embedded

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Tue Aug 3 04:55:41 CDT 2004

The key words are at the top of the page:

The Evaluation Edition software ***enables you to build*** Windows XP
Embedded with Service Pack 1-based operating systems [...]

Not all WinXP Embedded systems are the same -- you won't need the same
functionality for say a smartphone as you would a set-top box, watch,
PDA, automobile, or what-have-you.  They may all have the same kernel,
but there's lots of other stuff missing, as well as other stuff present.

After you 'customize' your XP Embedded OS, it'll ***build*** a .hex file
or something similar for you to load onto the device, which could range
from 16Mb to 256Mb, I'm sure.  The device could still have fairly high
requirements...(I ran Win2K on my P200Mhz, and it was still faster than
my 400Mhz iPaq).  Even for set-top boxes, my TWC DVR has a 200Mhz SPARC
(I think) processor in it, and probably at least 128Mb memory (for the
encoding...).  Granted it doesn't use XP Embedded, but I'm sure it's
requirements would be something similar...

It all depends on the application, though I'm sure they're a bit higher
than the competition...If only the full blown XP Professional was as
customizable!!

-Lucas