Taking the Plunge-- Still

jmneedham at kc.rr.com jmneedham at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 04:06:06 CST 2003

Greetings all:

Well I have a Gentoo system up and running and as I write this, I left it compiling KDE after the
initial installation.  I have abandoned the wireless NIC for now, though I have to state that I did
replace it with an SMC Wireless NIC in hopes that the wlan project drivers will support it once I
get there.

Right now, I am having issues as the LiveCD found the network and configured it automatically...
when I rebooted, I did a dhcpcd eth0 and have what seems to be slow Internet connectivity.

My mainboard is an Intel with a 985 chipset (Compaq Presario 6420NX) and it has what I believe is
the integrated Realtec drivers, but I have yet to actually setup the parameters as I am not sure
why the drivers are not in /lib/.../net/ as the install indicated.  I also can not mount any CD or
DVD and I am not sure what fun awaits me as I get Xfree installed... but it has been like 3 years
since I configured X windows.

My video card is now an Nvidia 5200 with 128 MB of Ram and I am hoping to find an X server that
will be sufficient to run that.

Now I REALLY need some help!

Thanks,

--