Taking the Plunge-- Still

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Thu Oct 30 06:04:41 CST 2003

jmneedham at kc.rr.com wrote:

>Greetings all:
>
>Well I have a Gentoo system up and running and as I write this, I left it compiling KDE after the
initial installation.  I have abandoned the wireless NIC for now, though I have to state that I did
replace it with an SMC Wireless NIC in hopes that the wlan project drivers will support it once I
get there.

checkout www.linuxant.com, a lot of windows drivers will work with their
DriverLoader.  This weekend I'll be testing it out with my D-Link
dwl-650+ (22mbs 11b), this does have a real linux driver, but it is
alpha and pretty buggy.  So if Linuxant's solution will work, I will
gladly pay the fee (if it is needed, they are trying to get  hardware
vendors to sponsor).

>Right now, I am having issues as the LiveCD found the network and configured it automatically...
when I rebooted, I did a dhcpcd eth0 and have what seems to be slow Internet connectivity.

>My mainboard is an Intel with a 985 chipset (Compaq Presario 6420NX) and it has what I believe is
the integrated Realtec drivers, but I have yet to actually setup the parameters as I am not sure
why the drivers are not in /lib/.../net/ as the install indicated.

Sounds like not all the required modules were built with kernel.  Check
your kernel config, and rebuild if needed.

>I also can not mount any CD or DVD and I am not sure what fun awaits me as I get Xfree
installed... but it has been like 3 years since I configured X windows.

X -configure
will get you most of the way

>My video card is now an Nvidia 5200 with 128 MB of Ram and I am hoping to find an X server that
will be sufficient to run that.

emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel should handle that.