Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

Kris Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Fri Oct 24 18:03:00 CDT 2003

Interoperability is, well, sort of a moot point as far as ooooohhhh
browsing files.  Woop-de-doo-eee.  To tout interoperability is silly, as
is simply showing a server.  Why don't we demonstrate a couple of
clients (any os, I don't care) with full directory services,
authentication, group policies, integrated with web-services, CRM, show
a oo database running it all, the stuff that big iron does.  There a
multitude of directory systems that exist for linux, bsd, solaris,
whatever.  Don't show people software costs, they are meaningless.  Show
little companies that there are VERY VERY valuable and useful cool shit
that linux does cheap that would make them money.

Is this different than what most home users are doing with linux?  Yep.