Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Mon Oct 27 15:20:00 CST 2003

>>1. The keynote speech this year is not about Longhorn, but about integrating
>>Linux into your workplace. Clearly, we are not the only ones aware of this
>>notion anymore.
>
>EXACTLY, "INTEGRATING"... i.e. mixing in...

Yes. Integrating does mean mixing in. The point I am sustaining is that there
are now a LOT of people outside of KCLUG who are interested in doing this, and
KCLUG would do well to recognize this, and help these people, not compete
with them. Focus more clearly on LINUX, and let others focus on integration. I do
not want KCLUG to become an integrator, but I do want KCLUG to be a premier
resource for many integrators, because we have a solid Linux knowledgebase
(rather than shifting focus over the next few years into a cross-platform
knowledgebase).

>>2. I've learned two things: The attitude towards Linux in business is not
>>"we have windows, why would we want to change," but more like "Windows is
>>costing a lot of money, we need to trim costs, what are our alternatives?"
>>And, I've learned that migrating to Linux within a business environment is a
>>LOT OF WORK. You do not make a
>>switch 'without productivity disruption,'  as I naively believed a year ago.
>
>Show them how easy Linux is. Show them how EASY linux is, how SIMILAR is it
>to what they already ahve. The less trainging, the less cost...

Let me say that your proposed conversation is with people who have
never heard of Linux. I am proposing conversation with people are are
familiar with Linux, and ready to do more than ask questions: they are
ready to migrate their department or office to Linux. What you propose
is necessary, and I am proposing to be prepared to go much further. The non-Linux
crowd is no longer saying "duh, what?" some of them are saying "ok, I'm convinced,
show me how to roll it out." Here is where we point to integrators, and
members who actually have experience with the particular difficulties of rolling
out a Linux backbone for an office.

>Open Office is not 'equal' to MS Office. It is better; but it takes a while
>to learn how to use it because it thinks differently, and that period of
>time learning Open Office can make or break a Linux switchover.
>
>Show them the difference/similarities... It makes sense

Yes, and then let them fall flat on their face when they go to use it. Better
to be frank right up front and tell them that it handles everything Microsoft
Office handles... and it is free... but it will take a couple of weeks to learn.
Encourage them to learn, but also encourage them to get past the
early frustration phase which turns people away.

>>Hundreds of thousands of dollars will be spent in Kansas City alone over the
>>next ten years migrating toward Linux. I am very eager for Linux-oriented
>>consultants and integrators to make this money. I am very eager for KCLUG to
>>be a meetingplace and resource for such consultants. However, I am not eager
>>for KCLUG to lose its Linux focus over time. I am carefully proposing that
>>KCLUG stick close to Linux as a complete solution, not play into a hybrid
>>environment which will continue to be dominated by Windows as long as Linux
>>is a bolt-on, instead of a complete solution.

>You can never fully explain how Linux is superior, unless you can show
>side-by-side how it is better, or at the very least equivalent. The cost
>factor should prove itself.

In a competitive-based market, you are correct. Who said we have to stoop
to competing with Windows? Let Windows parlay the FUD. Let Linux simply
stand. There is no need to show weaknesses in Windows in order to show
strengths in Linux.

Speaking of Total Cost of Ownership, here is a good link:

http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/RFG-LinuxTCO-vFINAL-Jul2002.pdf

We might want to have a couple hundred copies of this to pass out at
the ITEC show.

>The best Linux solution for a company is the one that costs them the least
>amount of hassle/money. That is/what should be shown.

Agreed.

-Jared