Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Fri Oct 24 18:10:27 CDT 2003

If we do this, then we must be absolutely sure that we have the proper
documentation.  There WILL be developers and businesses in attendance
who's business model is totally dependent on 'doze and some of these may
feel threatened by Linux.

I think that we can do some really good things for Linux and open
source, but if we do not have the proper licenses and documentation to
prove it, we could end up helping M$ with their FUD campaign - and that
would be a really bad thing.

Rusty wrote:

>--- Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:
>

>>Again I disagree. I think that we should have a windows machine
>>there,
>>or even a dual boot machine there, but only bring it out if a
>>visitor wants to see interoperability. Or have one on a network that
>>can browse files from Linux and vice versa. I think that the reality
>>is people will want to see interoperability, and if we can't show
>>it to them they will say "Aha! See they couldn't do it! It's all
>>smoke and mirrors.". Let us not make the mistake of other OSes
>>that felt themselves above the other ones. It is a reality of our
>>world today that interoperability is a key to success in business.
>>Remember this is to show decisih: "akers what Linux can do. I am
>>almost certain people will want to see it. I'm not saying put it
>>out in front of everyone. I'm not saying make it a focus, just that
>>we should be prepared to accommodate.
>>
>>Any way that's my $0.02,
>>Brian
>>

>I would agree wholeheartedly. The attitude towards Linux in business is
>"we have windows and everyone knows it and it works, why would I want
>to change?" Show them how adding Linux doesn't "upset the applecart",
>but rather can dovetail nicely with existing networks. That way those
>with interest can make a switch without productivity disruption. Its
>only by gaining a small toehold that changes can occur, over time.
>Those who think wholesale changes will occur rapidly are simply
>deluding themselves.

>http://shopping.yahoo.com

Those who understand binary, and those who don't