Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 16:31:10 CDT 2003

--- Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:
> Again I disagree. I think that we should have a windows machine
> there,
> or even a dual boot machine there, but only bring it out if a
> visitor wants to see interoperability. Or have one on a network that
> can browse files from Linux and vice versa. I think that the reality
> is people will want to see interoperability, and if we can't show
> it to them they will say "Aha! See they couldn't do it! It's all
> smoke and mirrors.". Let us not make the mistake of other OSes
> that felt themselves above the other ones. It is a reality of our
> world today that interoperability is a key to success in business.
> Remember this is to show decision makers what Linux can do. I am
> almost certain people will want to see it. I'm not saying put it
> out in front of everyone. I'm not saying make it a focus, just that
> we should be prepared to accommodate.
>
> Any way that's my $0.02,
> Brian

I would agree wholeheartedly. The attitude towards Linux in business is
"we have windows and everyone knows it and it works, why would I want
to change?" Show them how adding Linux doesn't "upset the applecart",
but rather can dovetail nicely with existing networks. That way those
with interest can make a switch without productivity disruption. Its
only by gaining a small toehold that changes can occur, over time.
Those who think wholesale changes will occur rapidly are simply
deluding themselves.