Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Fri Oct 24 17:35:44 CDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
>--- Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:
>> Again I disagree. I think that we should have a windows machine
>> there,
>> or even a dual boot machine there, but only bring it out if a
>> visitor wants to see interoperability. Or have one on a network that
>> can browse files from Linux and vice versa. I think that the reality
>> is people will want to see interoperability, and if we can't show
>> it to them they will say "Aha! See they couldn't do it! It's all
>> smoke and mirrors.". Let us not make the mistake of other OSes
>> that felt themselves above the other ones. It is a reality of our
>> world today that interoperability is a key to success in business.
>> Remember this is to show decision makers what Linux can do. I am
>> almost certain people will want to see it. I'm not saying put it
>> out in front of everyone. I'm not saying make it a focus, just that
>> we should be prepared to accommodate.
>>
>> Any way that's my $0.02,
>> Brian
>
>I would agree wholeheartedly. The attitude towards Linux in business is
>"we have windows and everyone knows it and it works, why would I want
>to change?" Show them how adding Linux doesn't "upset the applecart",
>but rather can dovetail nicely with existing networks. That way those
>with interest can make a switch without productivity disruption. Its
>only by gaining a small toehold that changes can occur, over time.
>Those who think wholesale changes will occur rapidly are simply
>deluding themselves.

I had your exact opinion a year ago. However, a lot has happened
since then, and I am now adhering to the solipsistic standard of
KCLUG advocating Linux, not Linux-and-Windows. What happened
in the past year?

1. The keynote speech this year is not about Longhorn, but about
integrating Linux into your workplace. Clearly, we are not the only ones
aware of this notion anymore.

2. I've learned two things: The attitude towards Linux in business is
not "we have windows, why would we want to change," but more like
"Windows is costing a lot of money, we need to trim costs, what
are our alternatives?" And, I've learned that migrating to Linux within
a business environment is a LOT OF WORK. You do not make a
switch 'without productivity disruption,'  as I naively believed a year ago.

Open Office is not 'equal' to MS Office. It is better; but it takes a while
to learn how to use it because it thinks differently, and that period
of time learning Open Office can make or break a Linux switchover.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars will be spent in Kansas City alone over
the next ten years migrating toward Linux. I am very eager for Linux-oriented
consultants and integrators to make this money. I am very eager for KCLUG
to be a meetingplace and resource for such consultants. However, I am
not eager for KCLUG to lose its Linux focus over time. I am carefully
proposing that KCLUG stick close to Linux as a complete solution, not play
into a hybrid environment which will continue to be dominated by Windows
as long as Linux is a bolt-on, instead of a complete solution.

As you can see, Linux has arrived. IBM, Novell, Motorola, these kinds of
folks are using and defending Linux in a huge way. SCO is a gnat. Our labor
is not to prove what everybody else is proving: that "Linux is interoperable."
Our position is to stand firm that a total Linux solution is the best way
to go.

-Jared