Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Oct 24 15:30:11 CDT 2003

I disagree, now let me explain why. Linux is only the kernel.
When people think of Linux anymore they think of Linux+OSS.
Linux isn't terribly useful without the Open Source apps
that run on top of it.

> Let others pick up the slack of providing Linux-to-windows
> knowledge, rather than dissipate our focus.
>
> In short, I agree with zscoundrel:
> >The inter-operability sounds like a cool idea, but personally, I think
> >there is a possibility that it could backfire on us.  We are
Again I disagree. I think that we should have a windows machine there,
or even a dual boot machine there, but only bring it out if a
visitor wants to see interoperability. Or have one on a network that
can browse files from Linux and vice versa. I think that the reality
is people will want to see interoperability, and if we can't show
it to them they will say "Aha! See they couldn't do it! It's all
smoke and mirrors.". Let us not make the mistake of other OSes
that felt themselves above the other ones. It is a reality of our
world today that interoperability is a key to success in business.
Remember this is to show decision makers what Linux can do. I am
almost certain people will want to see it. I'm not saying put it
out in front of everyone. I'm not saying make it a focus, just that
we should be prepared to accommodate.

Any way that's my $0.02,
Brian