Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Fri Oct 24 14:49:02 CDT 2003

After troubling over the ethics of helping put together
last year's Open Source for Windows CD, I'm more
resolute that KCLUG should focus on Linux, not Open
Source in general. Let Open Source awareness cascade
out from the visibility of Linux, Apache, ethereal, etc,
and Open Source will always remain a principle--if it is
the other way around, Open Source becomes a commodity,
a 'feature'.

I'm quite amenable to the idea that KCLUG promote
only Linux, leaving all Windows interoperability demos
in the hands of other folks: solution providers, integrators,
and consultants. KCLUG can survive quite well in the role
of being Kansas City's premier resource for pure LINUX
knowledge.

Let others pick up the slack of providing linux-to-windows
knowledge, rather than dissipate our focus.

In short, I agree with zscoundrel:
>The inter-operblity sounds like a cool idea, but personally, I think
>there is a possibility that it could backfire on us.  We are the 'Kansas
>City Linus Users Group', not the 'Slow To Sub-light Speed So we can Show
>off Buggy Software Group'.  (STSSSBS)  I think that having a 'doze box
>in the booth could be misconstrued or just flat out misrepresented by
>those that fear Linux or by their lapdog media people.

-Jared

p.s. I hope we don't use Linus, just his software. :-)