Power Mac Wireless

Kain kain at kain.org
Mon Oct 13 20:42:48 CDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:34:47PM +0000, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> SSID,
> WEP (on/off),
> Key Length,
> Ascii or HEX key

> You're saying all the Mac will let you set is SSID ("Network Name"), and Key?
> What if I enter 254 bits of key - does it pad to 256?
> So far no obvious choice of settings has worked.
> (Bloody idiot-proof computers never did play well with others...)

iirc there's a ascii->wep hex key standard hash in the 802.11(z?) spec thatthese all use.  I know
on linux you can set it and get the key back with something like:

iwconfig wlan0 key s:asciiversionofyourwepkey

The key-length is actually part of the over-the-air packet information, so you
(or your wireless NIC) can tell which WEP key to attempt.
--
Bryon Roche
Professional {Developer,Guru,Mad Scientist}