Power Mac Wireless

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Oct 13 16:24:41 CDT 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Monday 13 October 2003 3:14 pm, Seth Dimbert wrote:
>

>>If you're talking about an AirPort network, things are a little
>>complicated: Apple makes non-Apple machines enter a longer password than
>>Apple machines to connect... You need the Airport Admin Utility (on a mac)
>>to get this information.
>>

>In this case we're trying to connect an Apple to a mixed TCP/IP network, but
>that still may be what I need.

I sounds like Apple is doing something similar to what Linksys has done
with some of their wireless products. The WEP key is in hexidecimal. The
client software has a cute little GUI that lets you type in a base-62
[A-Za-z0-9] password and then it converts it via a hash to the WEP key.
I never discovered a way to go backwards. I had to set the Linksys WEP
to some known password and then take the resulting HEX value and give
that to everything else.