Power Mac Wireless

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Oct 13 15:43:21 CDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 3:14 pm, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> If you're talking about an AirPort network, things are a little
> complicated: Apple makes non-Apple machines enter a longer password than
> Apple machines to connect... You need the Airport Admin Utility (on a mac)
> to get this information.

In this case we're trying to connect an Apple to a mixed TCP/IP network, but
that still may be what I need.

> The Network Admin can give it to you.

NO HE BLOODY WELL CAN'T - I *)AM(* the frigging "Network Admin".

I promised myself I'd hunt down the next HOWTO writer who said something like
that.  Good thing this is only a mailing list, huh?

Seriously, where is the "Network Admin" supposed to get it from?  How is he
supposed to find out?

> If you're trying to connect an airport-enabled Mac to a plain-jane 802.11
> network, things are much easier... You just enter the information right
> where you would expect to: System Preferences | Network Pane |
>  Airport Prefs. You shouldn't need to tell the client how long the key
> is... You just enter it.

Ok, on my Wireless Hub, I have settings for:

SSID,
WEP (on/off),
Key Length,
Ascii or HEX key
Key,
Open Accss/Shared Encryption,
Speed.

You're saying all the Mac will let you set is SSID ("Network Name"), and Key?
What if I enter 254 bits of key - does it pad to 256?

So far no obvious choice of settings has worked.

(Bloody idiot-proof computers never did play well with others...)