Samba mapping without retyping password on windows 2000 system?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Oct 7 09:29:34 CDT 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 3:18 pm, Joe Cho wrote:

> Is there any way, I can map the drive without retyping the password two
> times, one for logging on the windows and one for connecting Redhat Samba??

I automount shares from my NT server on my workstations.  As far as I know,
the only two ways to do this are to either create an account on the NT server
for the purpose of mounting the drive, which account has no password, or to
put the password in the configuration file for automount (in plain text).

There may be a way to do this using pamSMB, but I have only looked at it, not
pursued it.

Unfortunately, documentation for Samba presumes a Samba server and Windows
workstations; using Linux workstations on an NT network is possible but not
well documented.