Overtimem

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Nov 29 17:29:06 CST 2003

On Saturday 29 November 2003 11:04 am, Zscoundrel wrote:

> >IT workers have been specificaly exempt from overtime pay for years.

> Not true.  It all depended on how your job was classified ...

Exactly.  If it is classified as a computer information job, it is exempt from
federal overtime requirements.  Just as someone classed as a manager, who is
responsible for managing people, can be exempted from overtime requirements,
so can anyone who's duties are primarily related to computers.

The Department of Labor has reorganized it's site since I researched this
about a year ago and it's a little more difficult to find this stuff there,
but I suggest you look if you're concerned.

Note that if the work you do is in support of an administrative or sales job,
you are also probably exempt.