Strange file associations

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Nov 29 18:26:04 CST 2003

This came up before when Konqueror didn't want to open a lot of pages and most
bookmarks that were "*.htm" files; it kept trying to open them in a word
processor.  I think the problem went away when I did an update to Mandrake -
maybe 9.1 - 9.2.

However, browsing the Time Warner cable page, I found an interesting behavior:

This link: http://www.twckc.com/services/lineups/schednet.asp opens just fine,
but this one: http://www.twckc.com/services/rates/packRates.asp Konqueror
wants to open in GMplayer.  I don't find any file association for *.asp in
Konqueror, KDE's file association menu, or GMplayer.  Mozilla reports it as
an unknown binary/application file and won't open it either.

(Most likely this is bad coding by Time Warner, but it's still a weird way to
handle things.)