HTPC hardware

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 17:28:43 CST 2003

--- kurt at verruckt.org wrote:
> [...]

I can't speak to the speed of the drives or their respective
interfaces, but I have just a bit of knowledge of raid. Raid 0
(striping ONLY) isn't really raid, since there's no fault tolerance. It
requires a minimum of 2 drives, but is better with 3. If you lose
anything in the array, you lose EVERYTHING in the array. Raid 1 is
mirroring (2 identical drives, one controller) or duplexing (2
identical drives, separate controllers - more fault tolerant). Raid 5
is striping with parity, requires a minimum of 3 drives, and is the
"most popular" form of fault tolerance. There are many more
levels/varieties of raid that do different combinations of
striping/mirroring/duplexing/parity. Most of them are proprietary, and
VERY expensive.

HTH... Rusty