HTPC hardware

kurt at verruckt.org kurt at verruckt.org
Wed Nov 26 18:24:17 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "brad" <brad at bradandkim.net>
> Well, the 10K would be nice, but pricewatch is showing I can get an 80
> Gig seagate 7200 sata for $75.  Is there going to be enough performance
> difference to justify the cost?  160 Gig for $150 versus 72 Gig for
> $210.  I guess have to balance performance and storage space.
>
> Brad

Well, not all of the SATA drives are equal. If you are looking for decent
speed, IDE would probably actually be better. The 8mb caches drives are
awesome (i have 2 of them). If you want the BEST performance, period. Then
the SATA "RAPTOR" by WD is the current king. The only drawback, is that it
is only 36.7GB right now. Look at the seek times. Alot of the SATA drives
out there are really no faster than the fast IDE drives that have been out
for a while. Here is a link to the Raptor that im talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=property&catalog=14&
mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=4570,4271&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&descript
ion=%20&srchFor=raptor

Kurt

---