Spam and double-bounces

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Nov 26 02:40:21 CST 2003

The company I work for runs qmail, which acceps all mail addressed for
the configured local domains, then bounces any mail for which there is
no valid local mailbox durring the delivery process.

This means spam for non-existant accounts (or accounts that have been
closed) gets accepted and then bounces (rather than getting 550'd at
SMTP time).  With most recent spam using forged from: addresses, the
usual result is a double-bounce that gets sent to the postmaster (by
default).

I have just re-directed the double-bounce mail to a seperate account,
causing all double-bounce notices to get sent to /dev/null, but am
wondering:

- Are there any nasty side-effects of simply dropping double-bounce
reports?  I really don't want to wade through them all if I don't have to.

- Anyone got any suggestions for other ways to reduce the volume of mail
aimed at the postmaster account (I'm seeing over a gig of e-mail dialy
to postmaster!).

Qmail specific tweaks preferred, but all advice is welcome!

Thanks,

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net