Spam and double-bounces

amoore at mooresystems.com amoore at mooresystems.com
Wed Nov 26 06:38:22 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:37:20PM -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> - Are there any nasty side-effects of simply dropping double-bounce
> reports?  I really don't want to wade through them all if I don't have to.

My theory is that this is a nasty side effect of accepting mail that you
didn't intend to deliver. It's a result of not having any system-wide
spam filtering that you inted to do as close to the beginning as
possible. Rejecting it before it's accepted is more appropriate, but we
don't always do the most appropriate thing.

If neither the sender or receiver want it, /dev/null it. Don't ever look
back.

This is not a universally held belief, but it's my current belief. $0.02

-Andy