Configuring XFree86 4.3.0

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Nov 22 16:52:40 CST 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 01:15 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> During Mandrake installs, you got to "test" XWindows setup for about
> fifteen seconds with some part of the installer.  Was that a separate
> program or part of the Installer?

I loose track of what they are calling their X configuration script, but
drakconf will allow you to re-launch it.

> I'd like to be able to make XWindows
> exit on its own after a short period, just to speed up the
> experimentation.

In one of the XWindows HOWTO's is a tip on how to direct the output of
XWindows to a file that can be scanned for specific error messages.  You
launch something like "startx 2&>1 <filename> (I always forget the syntax for
that).  To exit once you know it's not right, just use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.