Configuring XFree86 4.3.0

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 18:35:35 CST 2003

var/log should have a log of what X did when it
started. If you can supply that I may be able to help
you. You might try downgrading to X 3.3.6 (IIRC). That
modeline should work on your chipset it was
specifically made for that chip and came from a
working one. I suspect X 4.3 is ignoring the modeline.
Did you try changing the configuration file with the
refresh rates I posted? Strange that X -configure
doesn't work.
Habe you tried using the generic vga driver? If you
can't get it to come up stable with that you probably
won't get it to work. I've done pretty good at
tweaking
modelines, but I don't know that 4.3 will use them.
On the xvidtune, if you can see what you are doing try
the down button on the vertical. I believe you are
rolling because you are either driving the screen too
long or the rest phases are too short. Someone correct
me if Im wrong. I couldn't duplicate the problem on my
screen. I can max my horizontal/vertical everywhich
way and still get a viewable screen. Pick on IBM all
you want, but it's nice to have a screen that just
works.

<rant>
Right now I'm on my new debian and still learning
debian. Apt-get is not getting packages that I want
and some don't seem to exist, etc. Having a great time
learning. *not*
</rant>

Brian