Image Alt tags in Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Nov 21 17:18:38 CST 2003

I came across a web site that uses the "ALT" tag for images to provide price
information.  The image used is consistently a dollar or euro sign.

In MSIE all I have to do is roll my mouse over the image and the ALT tag text
comes up in a little box, so this works nicely and subtly.

I can't seem to find this feature in any of the browsers on my Mandrake system
though - Konqueror, Galleon, Mozilla, and Epiphany all refuse to display the
tag.

I guess this is three questions: 1) Is there a way to enable this behavior in
any or all of the above browsers, 2) Is there a browser for Linux that will
allow it to be enabled, and 3) is there another way to access this info from
any Linux browser?