Red Hat and product lifespan

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Nov 21 16:45:27 CST 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 10:51 pm, Dre G. wrote:

> Do we need to innovate at this point or get everyone developing on the
> same longer more stable cycle?

I think there's a problem with "feature creep" that's starting to affect Linux
in general.

When I built the RedHat 7.3 server I maintain, Linux and RedHat 7.3 were
perfectly adequate to the task of running a text-based webserver with PHP and
MySQL support.  They still are.

The main "features" I'm aware of in RedHat 9 are a "better" installation
script and better GUI applications.  Guess what? Neither are of any interest
to me in supporting this server.

What I need is ongoing support for the existing functions and features of this
server.  I don't need support for Apache 2, I don't need PHP 5.

So why do I need to "upgrade" to a new version of RedHat?  The only answer is
simply to support RedHat's bottom line - at the expens of my own.

Microsoft is constantly seeking ways to drive the demand for new operating
systems - games that require better video, spreadsheets that need more data
bandwidth, databases that need innovative indexing solutions, and the dreaded
self-serving growth of Live Video PowerPoint Presentations.  Dancing spam on
the web, and live streaming feeds of Brittany Spears.

While I'm glad to see Linux moving ahead and bringing out drivers to support
current hardware, I don't see a need for a decent Linux package to become
WindowsMEXPOffice2005 with all the trimmings.  Let's keep a solid, stable
core with a broad span of hardware support, and add all the extras on
separately.