Red Hat and product lifespan

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Fri Nov 21 17:13:32 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> So why do I need to "upgrade" to a new version of RedHat?  The only answer is
> simply to support RedHat's bottom line - at the expens of my own.

For security updates? Eventually, RH will stop sending out patches to plug
holes. When that time comes, you could go back to building Apache, MySQL and
PHP by hand from sources, which is what I had to do in the early days of PHP3
when RH didn't ship Apache with PHP support compiled in, nor was PHP tied into
MySQL.

Keeping "up2date" sure makes life easier.

I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I've used Debian in the past and
probably will again.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

GRUB?  What does THAT do?  Will the name litany ever turn to logic in
desperation?
-- Steve Nordquist, Re: Redhat 7.2, 10/23/01