Red Hat lost a little business

Dre G. enabled at linuxjunkies.com
Fri Nov 21 05:53:09 CST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Paul Taylor wrote:

> Red Hat on Intel machines was the original choice for my project which
> will run proprietary software. After the annoucement by Red Hat I asked
> the softare vendor if they supported latest version of RHEL? Nope. Veritas
> Clustering software doesn't support latest version of RHEL either.
>
> What a tough choice...decided to get one V880 and three V480's (hardware
> is maxed out) running Solaris 9.
>
> HP, IBM, Dell, and Linux all lost on this small deal. Hundreds or
> thousands of small deals occur all over the world all the time and they
> add up.
>
> Paul

I do agree that it may be an odd time for the linux world as it may be
but, if you think that veritas wont support rhel3 over time you would be
mistaken. Yes they have made a few ties with suse and dont have a client
that runs on rhel3 but that wont continue forever, or much longer for
that matter. I would wager this problem or problems for them will be overcome very shortly in fact.

As for other vendors it will just take little bit for them to get adjusted
to the new redhat support and deployment structure (and OS).
Think about this though. Longer life cycle for the OS means better
supported software at the expense of innovation.

Do we need to innovate at this point or get everyone developing on the
same longer more stable cycle?

I so see your point though.. but I also see the other side of the coin.

dre enabled at linuxjunkies.com