USB, etc [was: Re: USB Burner on SuSE 8.2]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Nov 17 19:36:45 CST 2003

[snip]

> Sorry; I should have explained. There are a couple of things
> you need to
> do. (Bear in mind, this is another reason that shrink wrapped distros
> are a bad idea. You have to get in to the kernel for stuff like this.)
I'm aware of that. I spent lots of time inside kernel configs so I have
a good understanding of what is there and what needs to be turned on.

> There are a couple of prerequisites:
>
> 	1. Kernel hotpluging support
yep got it.

> 	2. UHCI or OHCI driver
Caveat: make sure you choose one or the other and not both. This may take
a bit of research or trial and error.

> 	3. Kernel module autoloader
yep

> 	4. modules for your USB device built and installed properly
Not sure what you mean by this 'make modules && make modules_install'
should make and install them for you, although this can potentially
trash your modules directories and if you are going from one major
release to another there are other issues.

> Almost all cameras with make use of the USBstorage driver to
Sorry, I meant to say webcam. :/
This particular one is a 'Doze webcam with a non supported setup. Some
hacker has done a black box driver at a single resolution.

> on the USB bus. You can see if your camera (or CD-ROM) is present by
> "lsusb". If the device is listed and not working, then the driver has
Yep.

> not been loaded. "lsmod" will show the drivers currently in the kernel
Yep

> | On a related (sort of) topic. Gentoo users be careful when upgrading
> | the gimpprint software. I recently did this and it broke my printer
> | subsystem, giving me strange errors. The fix is to go to the
> | /usr/lib directory and make a symlink of 'libgimpprint.so.1' to the
> | libgimpprint driver. at least in my case. I found this by
> setting the
> | loglevel in cupsd to debug. there error that cups was displaying was
> | 'no pages found', but was really
> | 'cannot find libgimpprint.so.1'.
>
> revdep-rebuild would fix this. Admittedly though, it's a pain
Cool, I'll have to check this out.

Brian