USB Burner on SuSE 8.2

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Nov 17 19:22:29 CST 2003

Brian Densmore wrote:

| That is apparently the key word, "if". That can be a big
| "if" apparently. It has always been the case for my system.
| Even after a fresh install. I agree that one shouldn't have
| to do this. Not to mention the fact that I also have had the
| usb subsystem lock up the entire computer by loading the wrong
| usb driver module. I have this camera that was given me that is
| not terribly well supported, I just haven't taken the time to
| do much tweaking on the alpha driver other than to make it
| recognize my camera on boot or when it plugs in. If you have
| a procedure that I can use to determine 'if things are working
| right' I'd like to try it on my system. As it rests now, I have
| taken the camera off the system.

Sorry; I should have explained. There are a couple of things you need to
do. (Bear in mind, this is another reason that shrink wrapped distros
are a bad idea. You have to get in to the kernel for stuff like this.)
There are a couple of prerequisites:

	1. Kernel hotpluging support
	2. UHCI or OHCI driver
	3. Kernel module autoloader
	4. modules for your USB device built and installed properly

Almost all cameras with make use of the USBstorage driver to access the
files on the media in the camera. On some hardware USB implementations,
a hotplug event is not sent to the kernel after the USB OHCI/UHCI driver
is installed so the kernel is unaware of the existance of the hardware
on the USB bus. You can see if your camera (or CD-ROM) is present by
"lsusb". If the device is listed and not working, then the driver has
not been loaded. "lsmod" will show the drivers currently in the kernel
and whether or not they have been bound to the SCSI emulation layer to
provide storage access. Check for error messages in 'dmesg'. If they
haven't, SCSI emulation may not have been built properly. Once you have
access to the media, you can mount it using VFAT. You may need upgrade
to Kernel 2.6 if USB 2.0 is being used.

In the case of a CD-ROM that started this thread, the process is
similar. usbstorage will be emulating a SCSI CD-ROM rather than a SCSI
hard drive, though.

I don't have access to a Linux box at the moment so this is all from
memory and may have errors.

| On a related (sort of) topic. Gentoo users be careful when upgrading
| the gimpprint software. I recently did this and it broke my printer
| subsystem, giving me strange errors. The fix is to go to the
| /usr/lib directory and make a symlink of 'libgimpprint.so.1' to the
| libgimpprint driver. at least in my case. I found this by setting the
| loglevel in cupsd to debug. there error that cups was displaying was
| 'no pages found', but was really
| 'cannot find libgimpprint.so.1'.

revdep-rebuild would fix this. Admitidly though, it's a pain in the ass.
Turns out there's a dependacy hell in Gentoo, too. At least you're given
some tools to fix it, though...