USB Burner on SuSE 8.2

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Nov 17 15:10:07 CST 2003

I was working with someone on IRC this weekend to get a USB CD burner working with SuSE 8.2.  I
think there might have been some issues with the SCSI emulation on the system.

One thing I wanted to suggest was that you plug in and turn on your burner (might as well do your
smart card reader too), then reboot the system.  A lot of recent distributions do more hardware
detection on start-up, in order to deal with plug-and-play as well as hot-pluggable devices.  This
might get the right drivers loaded, and might even set up the hot-plug software for you as well.

If not, you need to resolve that SCSI emulation problem, then see about getting it all to work with
the hot-plug manager.  A SuSE specific list or newsgroup might be helpful, although they may have
nothing better to offer than "move to the next release".