USB Burner on SuSE 8.2

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Nov 17 15:43:56 CST 2003

-----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Hutchins
>
> I was working with someone on IRC this weekend to get a USB
> CD burner working with SuSE 8.2.  I
> think there might have been some issues with the SCSI emulation on the system.
>
> One thing I wanted to suggest was that you plug in and turn
> on your burner (might as well do your
> smart card reader too), then reboot the system.  A lot of
> recent distributions do more hardware
> detection on start-up, in order to deal with plug-and-play
> as well as hot-pluggable devices.  This
> might get the right drivers loaded, and might even set up
> the hot-plug software for you as well.

I've noticed that in order to make it work right without reinvoking
the devfs, is that if the card-reader doesn't actually have a card in it,
it doesn't load the drivers. This might be part of your problem. I would
try putting in a card on the card-reader and making sure the cd-burner is
connected and on before the pc gets to the boot stage.

Brian