laptop question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 19:34:51 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>Leo, I've installed Linux on some IBM laptops over the past year or so -
>systems ranging from P 300's to 800's or so - and I haven't had any more
>difficulty with them than with desktop systems.  I've used either Mandrake or
>RedHat and been able to use the GUI on first reboot.
>
>I'll admit that sound doesn't always work, and I've never gotten the IR link
>working, but video isn't really a problem.
>
>The IBM's all seem to have some issues with text-mode, even under DOS/Windows
>they do the shrunken text screen on startup.  In Linux this can be overcome
>using the framebuffer drivers, and I have had trouble with those but it's not
>significant in my normal use.
>
>My main system over in England is a ThinkPad 380Z running Mandrake 9.1 (?).

I have a 380Z, and have stopped messing w/ it for now.  I couldn't get
sound to work right off so I stopped messing w/ it for the older laptop
that I could get more memory into.  Believe it or not I can't find
memory over a 32MB SODIMM that will work in the 380Z.   What do you use
Jonathan?  Is it 66MHz or 83MHz Ram or what?  PC-100 and PC-133 sticks
will not work.

Main reason I started w/ it was I got a deal on it and it had 1 USB port
and a nice crisp screen.