laptop question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Nov 16 17:44:29 CST 2003

On Sunday 16 November 2003 03:56 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Feel lucky.  Getting Linux to run on laptops is a piecemeal operation,
> and anyone who successfully gets it to run properly on a laptop is
> someone who has worked on it for days, weeks, months.

Leo, I've installed Linux on some IBM laptops over the past year or so -
systems ranging from P 300's to 800's or so - and I haven't had any more
difficulty with them than with desktop systems.  I've used either Mandrake or
RedHat and been able to use the GUI on first reboot.

I'll admit that sound doesn't always work, and I've never gotten the IR link
working, but video isn't really a problem.

The IBM's all seem to have some issues with text-mode, even under DOS/Windows
they do the shrunken text screen on startup.  In Linux this can be overcome
using the framebuffer drivers, and I have had trouble with those but it's not
significant in my normal use.

My main system over in England is a ThinkPad 380Z running Mandrake 9.1 (?).