laptop question

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 06:29:50 CST 2003

--- Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>

> >I'll admit that sound doesn't always work, and
> I have a 380Z, and have stopped messing w/ it for
> now.  I couldn't get
I've only had sound working on my 380z
with SuSE. It worked out of the box too. You need
to recompile the kernel in any other distro with
the es1380/1381 module or compiled in. IIRC.
right now I ca't seem to get my Redhat kernel to
compile.

> >The IBM's all seem to have some issues with
> text-mode, even under DOS/Windows
I don't recall ever having any problems with text
mode.

> >they do the shrunken text screen on startup.  In
ah, <Fn>+<F3> on boot might fix that. IIRC. If not
download the IBM manual for the 380z from IBM's
website.

> not I can't find
> memory over a 32MB SODIMM that will work in the
> 380Z.   What do you use
> Jonathan?  Is it 66MHz or 83MHz Ram or what?  PC-100
> and PC-133 sticks
> will not work.
I have a whopping 96MB in mine, not sure what the
rating is. I'll pull the cover later and see.

I tried installing knoppix on this laptop over the
weekend. I wouldn't boot X after. maybe it was the
fact I used xfs for the HD. And it didn't give me any
choice to install grub on it. And I screwed up the
grub configure, over and over and over. So now I'm
back to RH 9, pulled down the latest kernel and also
the 2.6 and XFCE, which I tried out on knoppix. It's a
nice lightweight GUI. The first one I found usable.
:))

Well enough computers for a weekend. On is down doing
an emerge -u system (emerge -u world failed, lovely).
Maybe I'll try the morphix I downlaoded or the
slackware this week. Not happy with the RH, as on the
laptop networking never seems to work out of the box.
So I'm running knoppix from the cd to write this
email. :(
What a weekend. ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Nite,
Brian