new to Linux

Rick Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 14 00:39:13 CST 2003

A few questions from a "newbie".

Yes, new to Linux here, and aside from pure curiosity, I was originally
attracted to the concept in the wake of my increasing revulsion with
Microsoft products, prices, ELUA's and so on. (sounds like I'm
introducing myself to a twelve step group ... I best get to the point).

Just a desktop user for now. Played with Mandrake 9.1 from a Linux
magazine insert ... very buggy, and ran SuSE 8.2 on an old K6-2 system.
Fun ... good DHCP, hardware detection, sound. Not as slick as I had
hoped, but a good feeling in knowing that tens of thousands around the
world have freely contributed to something that works as well as it does.

Just installed SUSE 9.0 for a dual boot alongside XP ... very easy
install. SUSE sent a free copy after a chat with their customer service
last week (long story).

Have read a few posts to the KCLUG, and I hope I am at the right place
here. It would appear that this group consists of IT people and other
computer pros, which I am not. Nevertheless, it is fun to see that most
of you are quite capable of interjecting facts into each others
opinions. I assume that it is all good spirited rant.

Question #1: What is a good source for a new user to learn how to
properly install rpm's?

#2: What is a good CD burning program? ... Kb3 and cdbakeoven are not
friendly to me, and I did not want to just give up and flip back to Nero.

and 3: Are these typical issues addressed in your meetings, or are the
meetings devoted to deeper subjects only?

FYI: I asked Marissa at SUSE (Technical Presales) about the future of
SUSE in Oakland, and the future of the desktop product. Her reply:

>Absolutely!  We were just on a conf. call this morning, and for sure it
>has been decided that the Professional boxed product will continue.
>Neither Novell nor us have any intention of changing that path.  SO, you
>can relax easy now!

Hope that is true. Thanks in advance for replies to questions.

Rick