Fedora

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Nov 11 04:23:36 CST 2003

On Monday 10 November 2003 02:59 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Of course, I've been using Mandrake for most systems for the past few
> years.  Now that RedHat has droped its consumer support and apparently
> altered Fedora to no longer include important packages, Mandrake might
> now follow suit.  Mandrake dropped the Pine package as of version 9
> (hence the headaches).

While I consider familiarity with vi to be equivalent to literacy in the linux
world (with emacs being an acceptable substitute, rather like Canadian
French), I think Pine is one of the true essentials.  I think you need the
ability to yell for help if you can't get your system all the way up to GUI
mode.

Having said that, I haven't had the chance to discover that Pine was missing
from Mandrake because I've been too busy trying to learn the GUI.

What say a couple of us who know how to build an RPM get together and start
building some essential elements of the distribution that DON'T require "club
membership"?