Fedora

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 22:03:47 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:34:44 -0600 (CST) "Ryan Beisner (AE)"
<ryanb at aenternet.com> writes:

> > No experience with Fedora, but if you go with RHEL version 3, be
aware
> > that RedHat pulled out the database servers (both mysql and
postgresql),
> >  apparently for inclusion in an as-yet-unreleased add-on product, so
be
> > prepared to roll your own or grab them from non RH sources if
required.

> > Apparently, no one runs any php/mysql websites on RedHat systems, or
> > maybe they just like alienating their customer base (they've sure
been
> > annoying me!  Not just with the removal of the SQL servers, but with
> > their total lack of mentioning such a major step in *ANY* online
manual,
> >  migration guides, readme files, etc).>
>
> Agreed.  It's silliness.
>
> My, oh my.  They've done it now.  It must be time to move back to
> FreeBSD?  I really didn't want to do that.  I was convinced that Red
Hat
> would have eternally had Linux freely available.  I'm still going to
dive into
> Core 1 and see what goes.  There's nothing like moving a production
server
> to a test OS for a week or so and seeing what happens, yeah?

Having never used any of RedHat's technical support, and frequently
throwing packages which suddenly weren't included (such as the
disappearance of Pine, which removes the easy-to-use "Pico" text editor,
which causes tech support headaches when your client calls saying he
can't edit his config files anymore) into new systems myself (such as
then adding Nano, GNU's replacement for Pico), Fedora isn't that much of
a problem.

Of course, I've been using Mandrake for most systems for the past few
years.  Now that RedHat has droped its consumer support and apparently
altered Fedora to no longer include important packages, Mandrake might
now follow suit.  Mandrake dropped the Pine package as of version 9
(hence the headaches).

I just wish I could get Debian to work.  I've never successfully
installed Debian onto anything.  And of course, Debian has never come
with Pine.  I don't know if it even bothers with Nano.

[and before you whine about "but why isn't your client using vi/emacs?",
small business owners who switch from Windows to Linux frequently don't
have our level of patience and masochism to learn vi/emacs.  A modeless
text editor was good enough for them in DOS/Windows, and there might as
well be one in Linux as well.]