Fedora

A Duston hald at sound.net
Tue Nov 11 05:58:47 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2003 02:59 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > Mandrake dropped the Pine package as of version 9 (hence the
> > headaches).
>
> Having said that, I haven't had the chance to discover that Pine
> was missing from Mandrake because I've been too busy trying to
> learn the GUI.

I suspect that more distros are beginning to drop Pine as they are
learning that they are not legally permitted to distribute it.

http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html

Redistribution of this release is permitted as follows, or by mutual
   agreement:
 (c) Inclusion in a CD-ROM collection of free-of-charge, shareware,
     or non-proprietary software for which a fee may be charged for
      the packaged distribution.

Permission is _not_ granted to Include Pine/Pico/Pilot in a CD-ROM
collection which includes proprietary software.  I expect this
certainly includes Mandrake as well as many other distributions.

http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/legal.html

You may _not_ distribute modified binaries of Pine, even if you
supply the source.  Modifications must be exclusively distributed
in the form of patches.

"The intent has always been that you can re-distribute the UW
distribution, but if you modify it, you have created a derivative
work and must ask permission to redistribute it."

--
Hal