SUSE 9.0 Professional

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 04:22:44 CST 2003

Paul Taylor wrote:

>Hey! I haven't read deeply into MythTV yet. :) Whatever MythTV
>recommends, I'm doing.
>
>One quick question though, do I still need to pay DishNetwork for their
>receivers or can I dump them completely by building a MythTV box?

MythTv just records the shows.  If you have a satellite system you still
need their tuner.  You can make or buy a device to connect to your
MythTV box called a IRBlaster.  It plugs in the serial port and sends a
signal to the tuner to change channels so that the right show can get
recorded.  You do the same thing if you have digital cable and need a
box to tune in.  If you have standard cable the TV card will tune the
station in.  If you are just using rabbit ears and dial-up, then you
need more help than I can give and you probably don't want to waste your
time on MythTV.