Lets clear up some misconceptions

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Nov 7 04:05:12 CST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 07:31 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> >Man, it would be great if Linux would do that.  I wouldn't have had to
> > reset it two days ago.

> You are aware of your ability under Linux to switch another TTY and shut
> down the offending process?

No console switching available - locked up, thanks for playing.

> Or remotely do so?

Like I said, I could run shutdown, but it didn't do anything,  I killed
process after process, but the GUI still didn't unlock.  I finally just hit
the reset button.

> If the WM freezes for some reason, you
> can Ctl-Alt-Bksp and kill X and the WM.
> You knew that didn't you?

Yep.  In this case, you can Ctrl-Alt-Backspace all day, kill the WM and the DM
and whatever else you like.  Then you hit the reset button.

Journalling filesystem recovered without a hitch, whatever I was running
hasn't come up again, and I'm happy.