Lets clear up some misconceptions

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 02:30:32 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Wednesday 05 November 2003 11:31 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>

>>Why should the OS lock up completely or crash, just because of a poorly
>>written app you used.  The OS should control the hardware and sense that
>>an app is doing something bad and shut down just the app.  e.g. detect
>>memory leaks and race conditions.
>>

>Man, it would be great if Linux would do that.  I wouldn't have had to reset
>it two days ago.

You are aware of your ability under Linux to switch another TTY and shut
down the offending process?  Or remotely do so?  It may not work very
practically on my old hunker of a laptop, but on a decent desktop or
server it would be a life saver.  If the WM freezes for some reason, you
can Ctl-Alt-Bksp and kill X and the WM.  You knew that didn't you?