Chipsets

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Nov 6 15:24:33 CST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 10:41 pm, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> What motherboards have people had success/failures with for woody and
> sarge and Bartons with a 400fsb?

> Which mobo chipsets have you had good/bad experiences with?

I'm running an Asus A7N8X-X here.  There are a couple of different releases of
this model, including a "Delux" model, but I haven't found anybody who knows
what the difference is.

Anyway, they run the Nvidia nForce2 400 chipset.  It appears to work just
fine, but there are some Linux drivers that are only configured for RedHat
7.3 and SuSE 8.0.  There's also an on-board Nvidia version of a 3Com 3c95x
NIC that doesn't run with the standard drivers.

That said the system runs fine with the standard Mandrake 9.2 kernels.
Performance is very good (almost as fast as Win95!).