OT: flash drives and microwave radiation

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Nov 3 13:42:29 CST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Tim Reid wrote:

> Ever since kclug's discussion on usb flash drive, I've been thinking
> about getting one myself.  I just recently bought one, and am now
> keeping backups of my current projects and papers on it.  I love the
> little thing (it was easier to use with linux than with my Win98 machine
> :D ), and carry it with me everywhere.  I do have a consern, however;
> does microwave radiation in 0.5-1 W strength have any ill effect on the
> data in my flash drive?  I know that microwaves are non-ionizing
> radiation, but I thought that I would pick your extensive brain
> matter(s).

Sounds like a fun science experiment.  It depends on the source of your
microwaves and how the "antenna" (your drive) is orentated in the field.

USB connectors are well shielded with an opening much smaller than the
wavelength of our microwave oven radiation.  2.4GHz and less should be a
non issue.  You might have to worry about the frequencies in the SHF band
and especially the millimeter wavelengths.  They will get your unused pins
like laser beams.

What is the source of the microwaves and how is it concentrated?  Is it in
a beam, next to metal sheets that reflect, or is it evenly dispersed?

For us humans, a half a watt of energy can burn flesh if concentrated, yet
may be safe if spread over an area of a few inches.  Minus any danger of
heat stroke...

For electronic life forms, these guys are much, much smaller than us.
Their entire existance in this cruel world that mother nature can dish out
depends entirely how well the connections are protected from accidental
sources of energy.  Usually, all CMOS chips these days include a mesh of
diodes and resistors at each input gate to clamp down on static
electricity.  Elecrical currents from static are quite small.  So are
these diodes.  Microwave radiation may have currents significantly higher
that can concentrate on the pins.  A quarter wavelength of 2.4GHz in
copper wire is 1.21 inches.  That length of a pin will reach out and grab
all the action.  A pin half of that size in an evenly dispersed microwave
field would pick up next to nothing.

Have fun!